Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Homemade Deodorant

I finally made my own deodorant! I really like it. It doesn't have an annoying scent that alerts me of my current perspiring condition. I just put it on, give it a few seconds to absorb into my skin, and then go about the rest of my day. I have heard a few tell of the need to re-apply, but thus far I have found myself in no such circumstance.


For those of you who are interested, here is the recipe:
  • 1/4 c. baking soda
  • 1/4 c. arrowroot powder (if you can find it, otherwise use cornstarch)
  • 6-8 Tbl. cocnut oil (solid state)
mix it all together. Can use hand blender, wood spoon, I used a pastry blender and it worked great! It should be about normal deodorant consistency. If it is too dry, add a little more coconut oil (i used about 7 Tbl.), if it's too wet, add more arrowroot (or cornstarch). You can even put it in your old deodorant containers! 
They say it lasts 1 person about 6 months. Here's the problem thought: Coconut oil has a very low melting temp. (76 degrees or something). So, you need to keep it cool. It's fine if you have good A/C, but if it gets too warm, yup, you guessed it! Stick it in the fridge! I would take an alternative for traveling, unless you are prepard to baggie it, and fish it out of the ice chest!  If you have any other questions about it, then check out this link: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/02/homemade-all-natural-deodorant.html

www.passionatehomemaking.com is credited for the recipe and photo.
the wide-mouthed half-pint jars are a good allt. to old doedorant containers

No comments:

Post a Comment